Thursday, February 7, 2008

Day 24 - Love as our Motivation

One of the brother's this morning shared something God had been speaking to him about over the last year. It was a reminder of why Jesus did what he did. It was a powerful reminder to me that in our desire and vision for a mighty move of God and the demonstration of his kingdom we must be careful that our motivation does not become seeing the "signs and wonders of revival" but rather our motivation is a passion for Jesus and others. When we understand the true condition of the lost (harassed and helpless, Mat. 9:36), we see why Jesus heart was moved for them.

"When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. So he began teaching them many things." - Mark 6:34

"For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died." - II Cor. 5:14

Paul was driven by this love that Jesus to proclaim the gospel and demonstrate the kingdom throughout his know world. Like Jesus he placed the highest priority not on outward results but he condition of our hearts.

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing." - I Cor. 13:1-3

We gain nothing from our prayer and fasting if the result is self-effort and an obsession with growth and miracles. We gain much from prayer and fasting when the Father's heart of love is imparted to our own lives, and the things that move the heart of God begin to move our hearts. Then, we begin to fulfill the greatest commandment and the reason for Jesus' ministry - LOVE.

No comments: